Government Documents at SWOSU
The Al Harris Library has served as a selective depository of U.S. Government information since 1958. The documents in our collection are cataloged using the SuDoc classification system. Each number in this system begins with a letter or letters representing the agency that issued the item. For example, a resource issued by the Department of Education begins with ED. We are currently in the process of integrating selected materials of particular interest or lasting value into our general collection which is located on the second floor. Eric Documents (ED) on microfiche can be found in the cabinets on the west side of the main floor. Other subject concentration areas include census, health, and human resources.
The Al Harris Library is also an Oklahoma Depository library. We receive all of the Oklahoma government agency publications distributed by the Oklahoma Department of Libraries. Titles can be located by using our online catalog. This collection is located near the northwest corner on the main floor of the library.
The largest portion of our depository collection is available electronically and can be found by searching the online catalog. A substantial number of government publications are available on the Internet, and links to many of these electronic resources are available through the use of our catalog. Another place to find links to online documents is the Catalog of U.S. Government Publications.
For information about government resources at SWOSU, see:
- Jane Long, Periodicals and Government Documents Librarian
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 580-774-3731
- Barbara Roddam, Government Documents Technician
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 580-774-7022
- Location: First and second floors. (Click here for directions to the Al Harris Library.)
- Hours: See Library Hours.
- Circulation Policy: See Circulation Policies.
- Access Policy: open stacks
- Duplication Facilities: Self-service photocopiers and microform reader-printers are available. Photocopies are 10 cents per page; microform copies are free.
- Subject Concentration: education, census, health and human resources.
- Depository Type: selective
- Organization: Many of the materials are organized by the Superintendent of Documents (SuDocs) classification system. Some of the books have been moved to the circulation area on the 2nd floor and are available for checkout. These resources are organized by Dewey Decimal Classification. Items can be located with the library catalog.
“This library is a congressionally designated depository for U.S. Government documents. Public access to the government documents collection is guaranteed by public law. (Title 44 United States Code)”
Reference and Digitization Librarian
Al Harris Library
Southwestern Oklahoma State University
ref desk: (580) 774-7082