Do you have a laptop that you'd like to set up for printing in the Al Harris Library? Follow the steps in this LibGuide, and you'll be able to use the library's wireless network to print from anywhere in the library.
Scroll down for instructions on setting up a Windows 7or Vista laptop.
Mac, Windows XP, and Ubuntu Linux users: Click the tab at the top of the page for your operating system.
Important Info for Windows 7/Vista Users
- Your laptop must be connected to the library's swosuair wireless network.
- Be sure your laptop's battery is fully charged or plugged into an outlet. If your battery runs out while you're installing the printer drivers, you may no longer be able to print to any printer.
- Plan on the installation taking 30-60 minutes.
- Read the instructions below carefully before you begin. Installing these drivers is complicated. If you're uncomfortable with complex software installations, we strongly recommend that you use one of the library's PCs or laptops for printing.
- These instructions are current as of August, 2011. However, Kyocera may change their driver installation program at any time. Cancel the installation if you're not sure how to proceed.
- If you're prompted by at any point during the installation to open a firewall port for the printer, click Yes and allow the port to be opened. If you don't, the installation will fail.
Windows Vista and Windows 7 Instructions
1. Download the Kyocera FS-9530DN printer driver for Win XP, Vista, 2003, 2008, Windows 7 (32 and 64 Bit). You want the one named KX Driver.
(If the direct link to the driver page doesn't work, go to the Kyocera home page and select Downloads.)
2. Click Download Now to download the driver to your laptop. The installer will be saved to your Downloads directory.
3. Double click the installer. Click Run if Windows pops up a security warning. You'll be asked for the name of the directory where you'd like to unzip the files. Unzip the files to c:\kyocera.
4. Next, we need to go to the directory c:\kyocera. Click the Windows Start button. In the Search Programs and Files box, type c:\kyocera. Open the c:\kyocera folder.
5. Inside the folder c:\kyocera, there will be another folder whose name starts with KX_. (Depending on the driver version, the name you see may not exactly match the name that's shown below.) Open the KX_ folder.
6. Inside the KX_ folder, find the program Setup (or Setup.exe if your Windows is set to show file extensions).
7. Double-click Setup to start the driver installation program. If User Account Control asks whether it's OK to continue, click Yes.
8. Read and accept the Kyocera license agreement.
9. Installation Type: Choose KX Driver and click Next to continue.
10. Discover Printing System: Choose Custom Select and click Next.
11.Printing System: Choose Kyocera FS-9530DN. Click Next to continue.
12. Printer Port: Select Standard TCP/IP Port. Click Add Port to continue.
13. Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard: Click Next to continue.
14. Add Port: For Printer Name type lib100op.student.swosu.edu. Port Name will fill in automatically. Click Next to continue.
15. Wait for Windows to search for the printer. When it has finished searching, select Custom and click Next to continue.
16. Click Finish.
17. The Kyocera Printer Driver Installation Wizard will now continue using the new TCP/IP port. Click Next.
18. Custom Installation: Check KX DRIVER. Fonts should be unchecked. Click Next to continue.
19. Printer Settings: Rename Printing system name to Library Printer. Set as default should be unchecked.
20. Confirm Settings: Click Install to continue.
21. Windows Security: Vista/Win7 may ask you to OK the installation. Click Install to continue.
22. Optional Components Wizard: Click Next to continue.
23. Select optional components to be installed: Uncheck all optional components.
24. The Installer will set up the printer driver. When the installation is done, click Finish.
25. Now that the printer is installed, you'll need to tweak the printer's settings. Go to the Start menu and select Control Panel.
26. Under Hardware and Sound, select Printer.
27. Right click Library Printer and select Printing Preferences.
28. Click the Basic tab. Under Duplex, check Print on both sides and Flip on long edge. Click OK.
29. Congratulations, you're done!
If you need help setting up your laptop, ask for help at the Reference Desk.
Al Harris Library
100 Campus Drive
Weatherford, OK 73096
Ref. Desk: 580.774.7082